Sunday, April 4, 2010

New painting in the works "Baron Samedi"

Started a new painting recently. This is sort of a compaion piece to the Marie laveau painting I did last year. This one is of the Voodoo Loa Baron Samedi. He is quite a interesting gentleman and very cool to paint.

This is during the early stages after inking over the pencil. After painting with acrylic, I will go over it again with the inking to do touch ups and add more detail.

At the moment the colors are pretty solid and with little depth, as I go along I will be adding more layers and hopefully add more to the background, I want to incorporate symbols connecting with New Orleans. Baron Samedi's veve* is not completed, I will be finishing it when the painting is closer to being done.

* The veve is a the word used to discribe a symbol that is used during a voodoo ritual to call on a praticular Loa or spirit. This like the loa's signature.


Here is a site with some information on Baron Samedi:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Baron-Samedi

This is my personal painting, please not copy or use in any way. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. That's incredible Elfie! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw this remarkable piece in the making, I thought of the " evil " Doctor Facilier aka The Shadow Man in the Disney animation " The Princess and the Frog " I just recently watched with my 8 year old. I truly love the Marie Laveau painting, and I know this one will be sweet when Eilfie finishes her magic touches to it.. But very curious with the fascination, Is it the Voodoo history in general, or is New Orleans a place of interest ?? If its the latter Eilfie, we definately need to get you down here for some Red Beans and Rice,Jambalaya,Shrimp Creole,Crawfish Etouffee, and boiled crawfish... hehe

    ReplyDelete